As they say in Game of Thrones, winter is coming and it is unavoidable (unless you live in South). If you are a climber, you might be in the market for new crampons but if you are new at this, you might not know what to buy. That’s why we are here today as we talk about some of the best crampons of 2018. Whether you climb rocks or ice, crampons are an essential part of the journey if you are looking for a safe way to climb.
These days, crampons are being built specially for specific activities. For everyday winter walking, there are super lightweight crampons while the more traditional versions are made to handle technical hiking, glacier and snow travel, as well as mountaineering. The crampons that were created for mixed ice/rock routs and frozen waterfalls are becoming even more technical.
Check out our list below. We know there are more options out there but these crampons have some of the best ratings on the market.
OuterStar Traction Cleats Ice Snow Grips Anti Slip 12 Stainless Steel Spikes Crampons for Footwear
This is our first pair of crampons that made the list and they are up here because OuterStar made another fantastic pair. These affordable crampons come in two different sizes in 12 spike configurations. The best part about these crampons specifically is that they are made to fit almost any type of shoe which makes these one of the most convenient pair of crampons that you will own. All you do is put your toe into the rubber and once you’ve got that down, just pull the ring up over the heel of your shoe and you are good to go.
– Spikes suited for ice and snow with eight spikes on the ball of the foot and four on the heel.
– Easy to take with you if you are traveling. These crampons break down into a very small size.
– Made with stainless steel to make them extremely durable to hold up to the rough conditions
– Teeth – 12, 13 or 18
– Color – Orange, Black and Blue
– Uses – Anti Skid
– Material – Silicone and stainless steel
OUTAD Traction Cleats/Crampon for Snow and Ice
If you are looking for some crampons to take you up the mountain under any conditions including loose snow, packed snow and icy conditions, the OUTAD Traction Cleats are the ones for you. They are a little pricier than some other versions but this is because of the quality of the product. These stainless steel crampons fit almost all sizes of shoes and their ease of use will have you impressed. These ice cleats are strong enough to take on any adventure you see fit and they can even break down and fit in your pocket. Maximum stability was the idea when the length of points was decided and the sharp points make these fantastic for the ice.
– Two Crampons
– Net Bag
– TPR rubber for great elasticity
– Tolerance for low temperatures
– 14 multi directional spikes made of aluminum alloy
– Color – Green
– Material – Manganese Steel
– Weight – 2.4 oz
Unigear Traction Cleats Ice Snow Grips
The Unigear Traction Cleats Ice Snow Grips are one of the top crampons in the market for 2018. These crampons are tougher and lighter than they have ever been and this helps with giving you traction that not many other crampons can promise. The main body of elastomer band is made of an elastic Thermoplastic Elastomer which makes these abrasion proof, flexible and hard to tear. They offer a quick and secure fit so you are spending more time outdoors than you are putting on the crampons. They are best in class and offer long lasting soles that offer stainless steel cleats that are heat treated so they will grasp on to any form of snow and ice.
– Strong links and chains
– Till strong works at under -45℃
– Rubber eyelets are reinforced twice
– Elastomer bands are stronger and lighter than ever before
– No snow balling up from the ergonomic plate system
– Chains – Increased durability from being welded
– Material – Stainless Steel
Yaktrax Walk Traction Cleats for Walking on Snow and Ice
If you are looking for an affordable pair of crampons, the Yaktrax Walk Traction Cleats are your answer for this winter season. These affordable and lightweight slip on traction cleats offer all the traction you need to be able to walk on ice or go through snow. These aren’t necessarily cut out for climbing up frozen waterfalls but if you are looking for something to give you a bit of traction in the snow, these are the crampons for you. The are made of 1.2 mm zinc coated, steel coils that will not rust on you. These crampons will provide you with 360 degrees of traction and they slip on easily to most pairs of shoes. Enjoy these cost efficient crampons next time you need to take a walk in the snow.
– Cost effective crampons that are lightweight and durable
– Made of steel coils with zinc coating
– Very elastic outer bands for ease of use
– Available in most sizes
– Dimensions – 6 x 2 x 8”
– Weight – 3.2 ounces
YUEDGE Universal 18 Teeth Stainless Steel Anti Slip Ice Cleats
The crampons put out by YUEDGE this year have nothing but rave reviews. These crampons offer 18 stainless steel cleats with welding technology. The extremely durable chain system and steel spike offers traction on all sorts of surfaces. In addition, the spikes are strategically placed make sure the weight distribution is equal across all parts of the foot. When you wear these, you should wear them with confidence. They are easy to put on and take off with levels of tightness for your comfort. These crampons offer two Velcro straps to allow them to attach tightly to any pair of shoes.
– Easy to take off and put on with adjustment settings to make sure the fit is right
– Hinged plate fits for the you boot soles
– Durable spikes that can attach to concrete, snow, ice and wet rocks
– Break down into a very small product for easy traveling
– Material – Silicone and Stainless Steel
– Teeth – 18
– Functions – Anti Skid