- 1. Daiwa WLDR 862MR Wilderness Downrigger Trolling Rod
- 2. Penn Squall Level Wind Combo
- 3. OKUMA Dead Eye Trolling Rod
- 4. UglyStik Big Water Trolling Fishing Rod
- 5. Shimano Piece Trolling Rod
As most fishermen know, if you have one of the better trolling rods, you greatly increase your chances of having a great day on the water. Trolling is seen as one of the most exciting fishing techniques around today, but those adventures can definitely be ruined if you don’t have some good rods working or you. If you do take the time to learn the differences between top trolling rods and the pretenders, you will see plenty of tuna, marlin, and other fish end up in your boat.
What makes finding a top trolling rod tough for some people is that there are so many different features that they have to keep an eye on. You want to find rods that have top-notch rolling guides, are light in weight to give you more control, and you want the entire rod to be made of quality materials. You don’t necessarily have to get the best of the best to be able to catch a lot of fish while trolling, but you do want to find a reliable trolling rod with high quality parts.
On this page we are going to take a look at some of the very best trolling rods on the market right now. These rods are all consistently given high marks by both experienced fishermen and newcomers to the sport. The truth is that any of the five trolling rods listed below would work well for you, but we recommend taking a look at the differences between them so you can end up with a trolling rod that you’ll always be proud to own.
We hope this list of some of the best trolling fishing rods helps you in your search.
Daiwa WLDR 862MR Wilderness Downrigger Trolling Rod
What Daiwa set out to do with this trolling rod was make a rod that performed for both beginners and experienced anglers while also not costing an arm and a leg. We’d say they did just that because this WLDR 862MR trolling rod his made of high-grade materials that keep the rod lightweight and durable, but it costs a fraction of some very similar rods that are out there right now. If you’re looking for an affordable eight and a half foot rod, this might just be the right one for you.
– High quality fiberglass design
– Lightweight and resistant aluminum oxide guides
– You’ll get a great grip on these rods thanks to EVA handles
– Round rubber butt cap
– Fuji graphite reel seats
– 2 pieces for easy storage
– 8.5 feet in length
Penn Squall Level Wind Combo
Penn has become famous for its level wind reel and it stands out on this fantastic trolling rod. It is made of what they call an “indestructible” tubular glass material that is there to keep the rod as light as possible while also giving it plenty of strength. You will see these rods being used on plenty of charter boats around the globe, but they are priced for everyone, so they are also excellent for recreational uses.
– Rods made from lightweight graphite material
– Smooth and powerful HT-100 carbon fiber drag system
– 2 stainless steel ball bearings
– Ultrasensitive so you will feel even the smallest of bites
– Comes in two different sizes
– One of the most trusted brands when it comes to trolling rods
OKUMA Dead Eye Trolling Rod
The OKUMA Dead Eye trolling rod gives you the performance that you want while you’re out on the water and the peace of mind that it will absolutely never break down on you. That is because it is made of the very tough tubular glass, which is one of the most durable materials that you can get in a rod. The other thing we really like about this trolling rod is that it has excellent foam handles that feel great in the hands even if you are holding the rod for extended amounts of time.
– Tubular glass blank rods
– Lightweight, so it is very easy to take these rods out of rod holders
– Built to last a very long time, even after heavy amounts of abuse
– Soft foam handle means that you will always have a great grip on the rod
– Very low price when compared to other similar trolling rods
UglyStik Big Water Trolling Conventional Fishing Combo
UglyStik is known for making a long list of fantastic fishing rods, but the Big Water rod is the one you want to get for trolling as it is one of the highest rated trolling rods on the market right now. They decided to go with a graphite and fiberglass blank here, which worked out quite well because the rod is both strong and can withstand a ton of abuse. They even created a unique clear top for the rod, which gives it even more strength.
– Graphite and fiberglass materials used
– Very sensitive so you can feel everything that comes in contact with your line
– Clear tip design gives this rod extra strength
– Stainless steel double-footed guides ensure the rod will last many years
– Available in 2 different lengths
Shimano Piece Trolling Rod
Shimano has long been known for their excellent TDR Trolling series of trolling rods, and this latest rod is easily the best of the bunch. Unlike other trolling rods that use fiberglass and/or graphite materials, Shimano uses unique Aeroglass components that give their rods a great feel and top-notch durability. There are also two cushioned grips on the rod that are soft to the touch and easier to grip than other trolling rod handles. On top of all of that, you also get a one year warranty on this Shimano rod for a little bit extra peace of mind.
– Made from a custom Aeroglass material
– Aluminum oxide guides
– EVA handle gives you an excellent grip for extended use
– 11 different lengths and powers to choose from
– Medium fast action
– Has been one of the most popular lines of trolling rods for years now
– 1 year warranty