- 1. Tuff Stuff Delta Overland Roof Top Tent, 3 Person
- 2. Yakima Skyrise Roof top Tent – 2-Person
- 3. Freespirit Recreation Adventure Series M49 Roof top 1-2 Person Tent
- 4. Treeline Lodgepole Constellation 2-3 Person Tent
- 5. TMB Motorsports Green Pop Up Roof Tent
Whether you call it a pop up, car-top tent or roof top tent, these camping rigs are causing people to talk. If you haven’t seen one yet, you will be seeing them soon because they are changing the scope of camping for everyone.
Maybe you aren’t sure why you should get a roof top tent. We can tell you that once you give it a whirl, it will change the way you camp going forward. It obviously has its pros and cons but you will get sound sleep if you are worried about critters and insects slipping into your tent at night. The main thing you need to know is that you should have a really strong roof rack that can withstand the weight and high winds.
Now that you are here reading this, you are probably in the market for a roof top tent or at least wanting to get some more information so I don’t have to convince you. At this point it is about sifting through all the options and finding the right roof top tent for you.
Below you will find our list of some of our favorite and highest rated roof top tents on the market. We hope it helps you get a little closer to a buying decision.
Tuff Stuff Delta Overland Roof Top Tent, 3 Person
First on our list is the 3 person Tuff Stuff Delta Overland Roof Top Tent. In our list, this is the most affordable roof top tent coming in at around $900. This is a great roof top tent for a weekend adventure. It’s lightweight and durable which makes it a great option for the occasional camper. This is a basic roof top tent without an overhang or ladder but it has an optional annex room for your kids, dogs or a changing room. This is a great starter tent if you are new to this style of camping.
– Installation hardware included
– Installs on almost any cross bars with a max of 38 inches apart.
– Open dimensions are 56 in W x 96 in L x 52 in H
– Closed dimensions are 14 in H x 56 in W x 48 in L
– Made of 280g poly/cotton rip stop with polyurethane coating
– Included in shipping is a rainfly made of 420D oxford/polyester
Yakima Skyrise Roof top Tent – 2-Person
The Yakima Skyrise Roof top Tent for two people is another step up in the roof top tent department. This tent is both durable and lightweight which makes it great for any camping excursion. This camper allows for 28 square feet of space and already has a foam mattress built in so you don’t have to worry about bringing your own. The 210D nylon material and PU coated rainfly protects from the elements but also allows for breathability. To help with the breathability you get a single skylight and mesh screened windows. This tent is supported by lightweight aluminum poles and a ladder that allows you to easily climb in and out of the tent. It will attach to most aftermarket and factory crossbars as well.
– Made of 210D nylon
– Rainfly is 210D nylon PU coating
– 3 Season tent
– Fits 2 people
– Double walls
– Freestanding – stands upright with ladder and fold out design
Freespirit Recreation Adventure Series M49 Roof top 1-2 Person Tent
This season 4 roof top tent by Freespirit Recreation is a great one for you and your partner. There are so many great features on this tent that we barely have room for listing them (we did below). This roof top tent will keep you dry and comfortable as you explore different areas of the world. One of the best features of this roof top tent is the patented ability to be opened and closed in under 30 seconds.
– Best for use by one or two people
– Sets up and closes in under 30 seconds with patented design
– UV and mildew resistant treatment on poly-cotton rip stop canvas
– Polyurethane seam tape over double stitched seams for complete protection
– Large interior living area with storage pockets and places to hang your stuff
– Size: When open – 52 in W x 85 in L x 48 in H; when closed – 52 in W x 85 in L x 9 in H
– Capacity is 750lbs
– Weights 102lbs
– Hard shell PVC, waterproof travel cover
– Extending ladder to 7.5 ft
Treeline Lodgepole Constellation 2-3 Person Tent
The roof top tent by Treeline is extremely rugged with 2mm thick walls, aluminum tubing and a small diameter. What makes this roof top tent stand out from the others is the patented removeable utility/shoe storage bags and the patent pending quick release hand screws for simple removal and installation. Check out all the features below.
– Made of 380g cotton/poly ripstop canvas
– Fits 2 to 3 people
– Dimensions when open 122 in x 56 in x 50 in and when closed 49 in x 56 in x 15 in
– Exterior is made of canvas that is PU coated and water resistant 1,000mm and fire resistant
– Mildew and mold resistant
– Base of tent is aluminum sheet and polyurethane
– 2000D coated PVC travel cover
– Comes with removeable mattress and mattress cover
TMB Motorsports Green Pop Up Roof Tent
Finally, the TMB Motorsports pop up roof tent makes our list of best roof top tents. This tent opens up and is ready for action in no time. It includes an additional ladder so you can get in and out of the tent with ease. This is a sturdy, well-made tent that looks great. It is made of polyester canvas with oxford PU coating and the frame is aluminum.
– Universal and fits most vehicles with roof rails and cross bars
– Dimensions when closed – 84 in x 49 in x 13 in
– Easy closing with snap straps
– Easy to open with and stays open securely with shock assisted arms
– Pre-installed memory foam mattress
– Additional features – extra storage bag, flashlight and ladder