Last Updated on February 23, 2024
Being a catcher is very demanding. You have to be able to revolve between multiple stances, clock pitches that hit the dirt, present a nice target for your pitcher and keep track of the baserunners stealing so you can throw them out, all while calling the game for the pitcher.
The catcher sees the whole game from a different angle than the rest of the team. You see everything working in harmony and the precise arc and angle of your pitcher’s throws. You keep an eye on everyone and because of this, you are able to understand the game from a different perspective. That said, everything revolves around having a great catcher’s mitt.
This is a mitt and not a glove. A glove, like a winter glove, separates the fingers which allows for more speed, flexibility and versatility. A catcher’s mitt is made to keep your fingers tight and trade in versatility for safety and padding. You need to make sure you get the right one and you have to consider a lot of factors.
That said, we wanted to take some of the guesswork out of the process and offer a list of some of the best catcher’s mitts out there. These are some of the highest rated catcher’s mitts out there right now and you can’t go wrong with any of them. We hope this list helps take some of the stress out of the shopping experience.
- 1. Rawlings Player Preferred Baseball Catcher’s Mitt
- 2. Easton Game Day 33 Inch GDC2 Baseball Catcher’s Mitt
- 3. Mizuno GXC75 World Win Adult Pro-Sized 34″ Baseball Catcher’s Mitt
- 4. Wilson A2000 Baseball Glove Series
- 5. Allstar CM3000SBT 33.5″ Catcher’s Mitt
Rawlings Player Preferred Baseball Catcher’s Mitt
The Rawlings Player Preferred Baseball Catcher’s Mitt is made with full-grain, quality oiled leather shells with laces that are completely leather and made to be strong and durable. This mitt is a great choice for recreational baseball and softball games. It features a 1-piece solid web and Zero Shock palm padding for protection against impact and comfort. The Rawlings Player Preferred Baseball Catcher’s Mitt comes at around 80% broken in so you don’t have to do very much after purchase. This mitt is also great to catch for your kid as it is soft and ready to get when you buy it. We highly recommend this catcher’s mitt.
– This is a 33 inch catcher’s mitt that is great for recreational softball and baseball games
– Zero Shock padding in the palm for more protection
– 80% broken in from the factory
– Secure fit from conventional back
– 1-piece solid web build
Easton Game Day 33 Inch GDC2 Baseball Catcher’s Mitt
The Easton Game Day 33 Inch GDC2 Baseball Catcher’s Mitt can be purchased for right around $40. This catcher’s mitt will protect your hand form the first pitch it takes until the last one. The double oiled primed cowhide leather used to make this mitt is tanned to be game ready and soft with very little need to break it in. You will feel how comfortable this mitt is when you put it on and mostly because of the oiled hog hide palm lining coupled with the finger linting that is made of a very soft sponge-tricot. It is affordable as well as being very functional which is all you can ask out of a recreational catcher’s mitt.
– Double oiled cowhide primed leather that is tanned and really soft
– Only 10% break in needed from the player
– Palm lining is oiled hog hide
– 1.7 pounds shipping weight
– Has manufacturer’s warranty
Mizuno GXC75 World Win Adult Pro-Sized 34″ Baseball Catcher’s Mitt
The Mizuno GXC75 World Win Adult Pro-Sized 34″ Baseball Catcher’s Mitt is a great mitt for recreational use. Mizuno is a premier glove manufacturer and they have once again hit the nail on the head with this mitt. The World Win Series offers professional styles for patterns along with immediate performance and fame ready playability. This mitt goes through a special tanning process and this retro leather offers a supple and soft feel that creates long lasting durability. This mitt also provides moisture wicking through the Moisture Management Technology and allows your hand to stay comfortable and dry. Couple that with the ParaFit system and you’ve got a durable and comfortable catcher’s mitt.
– Pro sized catcher’s mitt that is made of retro tanned leather
– Supple and soft feel that is ready for game day
– 90% broken in from manufacturer
– Cutting edge innovations used in the making of this mitt
– ParaShock finger slots absorb shock to the hand
Wilson A2000 Baseball Glove Series
The Wilson A2000 Baseball Glove Series Catcher’s Mitt features a 33.5” opening, an open back design with the Wilson logo and a half moon web. Accidental drops will be reduced with the deep wrist channel because you’ll be able to close the mitt easier. It’s got a Velcro strapped wrist and wide opening to help it stay in place and thick padding that will absorb shock. The blonde interior gives the pitcher a clear target and the thick stitching makes sure that this mitt can withstand an entire season of play. In other words, this is a comfortable, functional and durable catcher’s mitt that might be the last one that you have to buy for years.
– 33.5” mitt size
– Open back is conventional
– Dri-Lex wrist lining for moisture wicking and breathable material
– Perfect pocket with dual welting
– Velcro wrist strap for a custom fit
Allstar CM3000SBT 33.5″ Catcher’s Mitt
Another great catcher’s mitt for the 2019 year is the Allstar CM3000SBT 33.5″ Catcher’s Mitt. This mitt was designed with the serious ball player in mind. The carefully constructed Japanese Tanned Steer Hide Leather has been merged into this mitt to give you a catcher’s mitt that is durable and soft. There is just enough support for controlling the ball and handling with the black back. It also features an extended pro pocket for added support and strength. The smooth back design with a locking tab improves comfort and eliminates the bulk.
– Black and Tan combo
– Japanese tanned steer hide leather
– Open back with Velcro wrist strap and finger hood
– Reinforced closed web
– Extended pocket with a profiled toe