If you are the outdoorsy type, then you know how important it is to have good hiking boots. The problem is that there are so many boots out there that it is very tough to choose the best ones for you. You need them to look good, you need them to be comfortable, and you need them to last. Some boots seem to check all of those boxes, but it is tough to know for sure if you’re choosing the best hiking boots or not. Well, that’s why we’re here!
The key to choosing great hiking boots is knowing exactly what you want from them. Do you want to prioritize comfort or durability, or do you want the best combination of those two that you can get? You will find that most top hiking boots will have great specs all around, but the key is to know what you are going to be using the hiking boots for and what one set might give you over all of the others.
On this page you will find five of the top rated pairs of hiking boots on the market today. You can’t go wrong with any of them, but it is worth knowing their differences so you can decide for yourself which ones suit you the best. Regardless of your choice, you can be sure that all of the hiking boots listed here are high quality and are built to help you get through any type of terrain.
Columbia Newton Ridge Plus II
Hikers have long depended on Columbia’s boots, and that continues to be the case with the Newton Ridge Plus II hiking boots. With this edition of the Ridge Plus Columbia has added to the overall flexibility of the shoes while also improving their waterproof seals to ensure no water gets through to your feet. On top of that, you’ll also get the type of grip you need regardless of where you are hiking, giving you the peace of mind you need while you’re out adventuring.
– High quality leather
– High traction rubber sole
– Lightweight midsole for extra comfort
– Breathable, comfortable mesh tongue
– Made for mountain and trail hiking
– Shaft measures 5 inches
– Platform measures 0.5 inches
Merrell Men’s Moab 2
The Merrell Men’s Moab 2 hiking boots are excellent combination of looks and performance. These leather boots were built for comfort and flexibility thanks to the unique blend of cushions, breathable mesh, and the outer molds used to bring it all together. Another of the many reasons why they are so popular right now is because they are ready to be worn right out of the box so you won’t have to spend weeks or even days breaking them in. The Moab 2 boots were definitely built for the long run, so you won’t have to even think about your next pair of boots for many years to come.
– Made of a unique suede leather mesh
– Known for being one of the most comfortable boots made today
– No need to break in these boots; broken in at the factory
– Breathable mesh used all around the shoe
– Thick protective toe cap
– Custom made arch and heel support
– Excellent shock absorption
– Very durable
Timberland White Ledge
Created for both long and short hikes, the Timberland White Ledge hiking boots is made of a special leather that is both flexible and highly waterproof. They also have excellent grip on just about any surface you’ll walk on, allowing you to focus on moving forward rather than simply trying to avoid slipping. Timberland hasn’t been at the forefront of boots for a little while now, but these White Ledge hiking boots are certainly helping them to move closer to the top again.
– Full-grain leather used all around the outside of the boots
– Extra traction for the tougher terrain
– Unique tongue keeps laces from getting too tight
– Padded collar used for extra protection
– Oiled finish gives the boots a slick yet not too flashy look
– Removable EVA footbed
– Shaft measures 4.75 inches
– Platform measures about 0.5 inches
The Hi-Tec Logan is an excellent all-around set of hiking boots made by one of the most respected companies in the business. The one thing the Logan hiking boots do better than most is give you lightweight comfort while also providing plenty of stability. You won’t have to deal with that heavy feel you get from most boots even if you are dealing with rain and mud. The soles will give you excellent grip and they work equally well on short and long hikes. The Logans feel like comfortable sneakers but perform like thick, rugged hiking boots.
– Unique fabric and leather mix
– Breathable waterproof membrane
– MDT rubber used for maximum traction
– Soft mesh greatly adds to the overall comfort of the boots
– Excellent shock absorption thanks to Comfort Plus sockliner
– Truly waterproof suede, keeping socks dry even in the worst weather
– Shaft measures 4.5 inches
Vasque Talus Trek
The Vasque Talus Trek may just be the company’s best affordable hiking boot right now. They look and feel similar to the high-end Breeze boots that they offer without costing nearly as much. The Talus Trek hiking boots have high quality components throughout, from the XSTrek rubber compound used on the Vibram Nuasi soles to the sleek waterproof nubuck leather surrounding them. Plus, on top of all of that, these boots look fantastic. They were built for all-day hiking, so you can be confident that they will work for you regardless of how you use them.
– 1.8mm waterproof nubuck leather
– XSTrek rubber compound used for maximum traction
– Uniquely made TPU midfoot stabilizer
– Cushioned collar for maximum comfort
– Mesh used is both waterproof and breathable
– Speed lacing technology
– Two extra thick EVA footbeds
– Very responsive soft, synthetic midsoles