There are a lot of training aids out there to use for softball. Between tees, cages and all the swing trainers out there, athletes have a lot of options. However, one of the best training tools out there for both baseball and softball players is the pitching machine.
In general terms, you should use a batting cage or net with a softball pitching machine unless you’re on a diamond. Most of these pitching machines are sold with remote controls and auto feeders so people can practice on their own. Outside of these characteristics, there are a few different types of softball pitching machines out there right now.
Arm pitching machines are one popular type of pitching machine and these are often seen at commercial batting cages. Then you’ve got hopper feed or rack fed pitching machines. When there is no power available you can use a manual or compressed air pitching machine which propels the balls by using compressed air. These are great for pitching machine leagues. Finally, you’ve got small ball or light pitching machines and these are great for your backyard or to travel with.
With all the options out there and things that you need to consider, we know the choices can be difficult. This is why we’ve compiled this list of some of the best softball pitching machines on the market for 2019. With a description of the product and list of features, you should feel much more informed about these products. Enjoy!
Louisville Slugger UPM 45 Blue Flame Pitching Machine
The Louisville Slugger UPM 45 Blue Flame Pitching Machine has been named the official Pony Softball and Baseball League pitching machine. This pitching machine has helped many players improve their swing for many years now. That said, it is still one of favorites for the 2019 year. This product is portable, doesn’t need electricity and it is durable. This machine throws real softballs and can reach speeds of up to 45 mph. Speeds can go even higher with lightweight practice balls. The lever action flicks the softball with steady speed and location. The price, durability and functionality make it a great pitching machine.
– This pitching machine weighs only 25 lbs and nice for travel
– Great for outfield, infield drills and throwing precise pitches
– No electricity or batteries needed to run this
– Throws regulation size fastpitch softballs up to 45 mph
– Will flick lightweight practice balls at speeds of up to 60 mph
JUGS Lite-Flite Machine for Baseball and Softball
The JUGS Lite-Flite Machine for Baseball and Softball is one of the best softball pitching machines out there when you are talking dollar for dollar and pitch for pitch. This is a pitching machine that offers full range of movement when flicking those softballs and that includes fastballs, slider and curveballs. One thing to remember is that the JUGS Lite-Flite Machine only uses the Bulldog polyballs by JUGS or the Lite-Flite Softballs. You might damage the machine if you try using other balls. It’s got a quick change design that allows you to adjust the machine from pitching softballs to baseballs in just seconds.
– Offers an entire range of movements that allow you to set the machine to throw fastballs, sliders and curveballs
– Can simulate speeds up to 85 mph at around 25 feet
– Hitters learn to sharp breaking pitches because this machine only uses Bulldog polyballs or Lite-Flite balls
BSN Bulldog Baseball/Softball Pitching Machine
The BSN Bulldog Softball Pitching Machine will get your players ready for their next big game. Long batting practices with people pitching can start to wear out that pitcher so instead of making your players and coaches more fatigued, consider the BSN Bulldog Softball Pitching Machine. This pitching machine can throw both softballs and baseballs at speeds that vary from 30 mph to 60 mph as well as simulating different kinds of pitches. Like many of the other pitching machines we are talking about, this one is adjustable to hit those difficult parts of the strike zone. You must use dimpled balls in this pitching machine.
– Lightweight pitching machine to allow for adjustments and new locations
– Can pitch balls from 30 mph to 60 mph
– Throws softballs both 11” and 12” as well as baseballs
– Runs on 110volt AC
– Eliminate air pressure issues with durable urethane wheel
– Legs are heavy duty and are able to be adjusted for softball and baseball
Jugs Softball Pitching Machine with Cart
The Jugs Softball Pitching Machine with Cart offers the hitter an underhand system that is realistic with the “always see the ball” patented delivery system. The base has a swivel design base that allows 360 degree movement for ground balls, pop-ups and fly balls. The unit weighs around 80 lbs and throws 11” and 12” softballs. Speeds range from 15 mph to 60 mph. Start you player off slow and work your way up the speed chart. With a digital readout display, it is very easy to set a speed that is ideal for the player. This machine is easy to set up and it has a fantastic 5 year manufacturer’s guarantee.
– Recommended for ages 6 and up
– Has a 5 year guarantee from the manufacturer
– Speed ranges from 15 mph to 60 mph
– Has a digital speed readout
– Has “always see the ball” underhand delivery system
Junior Hack Attack Softball Pitching Machine by Sports Attack
The Junior Hack Attack softball Pitching Machine is one of the most unique pitching machines out there. While it isn’t quite as affordable as some of the other pitching machines we have mentioned, it is one of the best for sure. You are able to see the ball clearly through the entire feeding motion, acceleration and release of the ball. This means you are seeing it like it is coming from a live pitcher. This allows the hitter to know when to take their stride. The three speed knobs allow for the throw 60+ mph fastballs while slowing it down to throw breaking pitches. There are a plethora of features with this incredible pitching machine so check it out.
– Can throw 60+ mph fastballs, screwballs, risers, drops and other pitches to help the batter improve
– Get pop ups, line drives and ground balls with the pivoting throwing head
– Very portable and able to fit in compact cars for travel
– Has a limited 5 year warranty